How to Become a Volunteer
June 15, 2012
The following procedures will be followed for the 2011-2012 school year and thereafter:
1. Current Volunteers who have completed their Online Volunteer Application AND the background check process, DO NOT have to do anything to remain on the current District Volunteer Roster.
2. New Volunteers (including active duty personnel) will complete the Online Volunteer Application at www.craven.k12.nc.us AND complete the background check process. (see item 4)
3. Human Resource Services Division (HRS) receives the Online Volunteer Application.
4. The applicant will download the “Notification and Release” form and the "Authorization" form from the above website, complete the forms and sign them. The signed forms should then be faxed, mailed or hand delivered to the Human Resource Services Division (HRS) by the applicant. (This prevents anyone other than the applicant to have their confidential information before it is received by the HRS). HRS will then submit the forms to the Third-Party Vendor granting the vendor permission to conduct the criminal background check.
5. Upon receipt of the criminal background check results, HRS will notify the volunteer and the schools. Only individuals approved by HRS shall be allowed to volunteer.
6. Our district policy requires that the names of all approved volunteers be added to a Third-Party Vendor's database as part of the District’s 24/7 Keep Watch Program.
7. If the results are unfavorable, the Volunteer Review Screening Committee may be convened to determine eligibility of the applicant. The applicant will receive a Pre-adverse Action Letter.
8. If the applicant is not eligible to volunteer, an Adverse Action Letter will be sent by HRS notifying the applicant in writing of the adverse action preventing him/her from volunteering in the schools.
9. Group Processing: Group processing sessions may be conducted as long as computers are made available for the applicants to complete the Online Volunteer Application prior to completing the "Notification and Release" form and the "Authorization" form. Completed forms must be placed in a sealed envelope and delivered directly to HRS by the Principal.
10. Exceptions: Field Day volunteers and EOG proctors (volunteering only during testing sessions) DO NOT need to complete the online application OR the background check process.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The Craven County Public Schools is monitoring all volunteers in the District’s 24/7 Keep Watch Program. The cost for this service needs to be closely monitored to ensure that we are not paying to monitor a volunteer who has either moved from the area or has asked to be removed from our volunteer program.
Notification of Criminal Charges and Convictions While Volunteering